About this course
Learn to Code & Acquire Core Soft Skills
Coding 101 is a competency-based coding course designed using a holistic approach. The course provides children in the age group 7-12 with the fundamentals of coding, enabling them to create and debug computer programs and develop basic software systems. In addition, the course explicitly focuses on developing vital soft skills for life including critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, collaboration, and communication.
Scratch is the main block-based programming environment used in Coding 101. It simplifies the coding experience by allowing children to easily drag and drop coding blocks to create computer programs. Using Scratch allows children to learn coding basics without programming syntax barriers that could undermine the learning process.
Coding 101 is delivered using a blended eLearning strategy. Interactive and engaging live sessions are delivered by well-trained instructors to introduce main coding concepts and to allow children to have hand-on practical coding experience. Asynchronous activities are uploaded on CodexPro Learning Management System for children to work on at their own time to support and enhance their learning.
Coding 101 is designed to enable children to achieve the following learning outcomes:
- Understand what algorithms are.
- Understand how programs are executed based on precise instructions.
- Create and debug simple programs.
- Design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals.
- Use sequence, selection, and repetition in programs.
- Work with variables and various forms of input and output.
- Solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts.
- Use computational thinking to solve problems: systematic analysis, and designing and evaluating processes.
- Developing collaboration and communications skills: listen attentively, speak persuasively, express ideas, collaborate productively and respect others’ opinions.
The course is composed of six modules, delivered in 28 live lessons and associated asynchronous eLearning activities. The course modules are:
- Introducing Code Behaviour
- Digital Systems and Coding Fundamentals
- Coding Concepts
- Coding to Solve Problems
- Coding to Develop Online Services